You might be wondering, what are the benefits of yoga? The value of good health is something that you can treasure as long as you live although the trend of having fad food, erratic work hours and high levels of stress are some of the major impediments that come in the way of good health.
The good effects of yoga and a diet filled with nutrients are no longer considered as secrets when it comes to health and fitness. In fact, more and more people are turning to yoga for staying fit and this has emerged as an incredible alternative natural approach to healing. Yoga is an excellent therapy for stress management, anxiety, back pain, wrist pain and so much more!
This article illustrates 10 tips on good health, yoga and nutrition and will help you understand the benefits of yoga:
1. Yoga Regulates Body Weight
It is true that high levels of work out helps in reducing body weight drastically although there are various side effects that many people want to avoid. Yoga helps in restoring the requisite level of hormones when you lose weight. With yoga, it is possible to enhance the natural instinct of the nervous system to fight diseases and also lower the levels of cortisol — AKA the stress hormone — in the body.
- Doing yoga, such as power yoga or vinyasa that requires you to engage your core and flow through movements can help you reach your weight loss goals, since it’s considered a form of exercise!
- The effects of yoga are both short and long-term but the benefits are immense. Not only does it allow you shed calories but can improve flexibility, lower blood pressure, increase mobility, reduce stress and more.
2. Yoga Enhances Cognitive Function
Yoga is a 5,000 year old practice, though the physical postures only emerged recently, a little over 100 years ago. Before that, yoga was intended to help you reach a level of higher consciousness, and it’s no surprise why.
- When you do yoga regularly and complement it with a correct and balanced diet containing all the nutrients that your body needs, it results in better memory and increases the retention capacity of your brain.
- Your perception, ability of judgment and reasoning gets a boost with yoga.
- Yoga includes simple stretching and breathing techniques although it has far-reaching effects on your body.
3. You Can Practice Yoga to Enhance Other Forms of Exercise
If you are wondering whether to choose yoga or sports for strengthening your muscles, choose BOTH!
- Yoga is not only related to your body but has a soothing effect on the mind. It is a perfect solution for those who experience weakening of muscles due to surgeries.
- For repairing your body, there is no other alternative to yoga as it creates a healing effect on muscle cramps, torn ligaments and injury in connective tissues.
- However, it is good to take help from professionals when you practice yoga for curing the side effects of injuries and surgeries.
4. Yoga Encourages a Healthy Diet
Is there a connection between yoga and healthy diet? Yes, if you choose to make it part of your lifestyle. Consider the mind and body as one, and you must nourish both for optimum function.
- Hydration is key. You’re mostly made up of water, so replenishing it is a must! Drinking water is great, but you can also get some from fruits and vegetables, too.
- Be mindful of what you put in your body. We can definitely appreciate a glass or two of wine or a nice pour here and there, but just remember substances such as alcohol or smoking don’t serve the body or the mind
- It’s all about balance. Eat what nourishes you and remember you need carbohydrates, protein and even fat to fuel your body and mind.
5. Yoga Keeps Your Mind Strong
Yoga has a powerful effect on the mind, improving cognitive function and helping to release feel-good chemicals like serotonin.
- Meditation is an important aspect of yoga and it allows you to stay calm and relaxed even when you have to deal with opposing situations in life.
- Yoga helps you clear your mind and organize your thoughts to help begin or end the day with a strong mind!
6. You can do yoga ANYWHERE
Yoga can be done in any location inside or outside the house. You can also practice this method when you are traveling and staying in a hotel. A yoga mat and your willingness to practice is all you need to begin with this effective method which is considered as the road to fitness. Pssst, if you’re confused about where to start when it comes to buying a yoga mat, we’ve broked down the top mats here!
- You don’t need to leave your house to practice if you don’t want to! There are plenty of free yoga videos online that you can watch from the comfort of your own home.
- You can practice yoga irrespective of locations. Taking a short gap between work is one of the ways in which it is possible to do some of the simplest stretching and breathing exercises.