The Benefits of Detox Tea
Detox tea, what does it do? I’ve seen the ads all over my Facebook, with the happy, smiling girls in their swimsuits, with their bags of 28 day detox tea at the beach, or in a floaty on the pool (I mean, doesn’t everyone bring their full bags of tea into the pool with them? Ha!) I’ve also read the ingredients and fine print on the back of the labels, and gave it a solid “nope” when I saw all the weird chemicals and stuff that you can’t pronounce in there.
So, you can imagine I was ready to give VIDA Tea a solid eye-roll when we first got the stuff over at Yoga Lifestyles’ HQ. And then I read the ingredients and researched them to understand organic detox tea benefits as opposed to its competitors. The daytime blend has the following: organic puerh leaf, organic yerba mate, organic oolong, organic cinnamon, organic lemongrass, organic spearmint, natural orange flavor and organic senna leaf.
And for the caffeine-free nighttime blend: organic chamomile flower, organic lemon myrtle, organic senna leaf, organic goji berries, organic ginger root, organic marshmallow root, organic cinnamon chips, vanilla natural flavoring, organic licorice root and organic strawberry leaf. That’s it. And you’ll notice nearly everything in there has ‘organic’ before it, making these tea blends 100% USDA certified organic.
They’re also free of GMO’s, gluten-free and vegan. Now, you might be wondering: why would I spend my hard-earned dollars on this pretty-packed tea as opposed to the stuff found at the local grocery store for just a couple bucks? The answer is how these ingredients work together, as a system.
When you combine all these ingredients (which are actually perfectly portioned in very convenient little tea sachets so you don’t have to deal with loose tea) they’re packed with 16 total powerful antioxidants. They activate together to give you detox tea benefits that offer your body some serious TLC, like flush out your system of toxins, help you fight cravings, feel naturally energized…the list goes on.
But anyway, let’s get to the point: I drank this stuff religiously every morning and evening for 28 days. Here is my honest, unbiased account of what I experienced.
My 28-Day Detox Tea Drinking Schedule
- I brewed a cup of the daytime blend shortly after waking up. I’d sip on it while I was getting ready, or if it was on the weekend, before breakfast. I am not one of those majestic individuals who budgets a lot of time in the morning to spend time getting ready. My routine is more of a get-out-bed, brush my teeth while still half asleep, clumsily climb into the shower, throw on some mascara and rush out the door. Sometimes, I’d take the tea with me on-the-go, and if I was feeling particularly adventurous, I’d pour it over ice — which, I found, was delicious.
- I get home from work, and try to get in some yoga or a workout a few times a week, make dinner, and afterwards drank the nighttime blend about an hour before I went to bed. The evening tea is caffeine-free, so I don’t have to worry about not being able to sleep.
How This Healthy Detox Tea Tastes
The daytime blend is light, refreshing and has nice citrusy notes. You can definitely pick up the lemongrass and orange, which is a nice surprise. No weird aftertaste, just tastes like really good tea. Sometimes, I’d sweeten with honey, but I’m a regular tea drinker so the plain flavor doesn’t really bother me.
The nighttime blend is just as refreshing, and was pleasantly surprised by it’s natural, verrry delicate sweetness, which I imagine is from the goji berries or strawberry leaf. You can definitely taste the chamomile (and I’m a huge chamomile fan) and I really ended up looking forward to drinking this every night, especially after a long day where I would usually unwind with a glass (or two) of wine.
What Does Detox Tea do for the Body AKA any Abdominal Discomfort?
Nada. I’ve read reviews about other teas where people complain about stomach pains and multiple trips to the bathroom, but I didn’t experience any of these over the course of the 28 days. In fact, I can honestly say it helped settle my stomach and even the days I was on my period, which I credit the ginger root and cinnamon (which are anti-inflammatory).
I should add that I have a pretty strong stomach, and don’t have any allergies or sensitivities to most foods. So I can’t speak for those who do, I can only confirm it had no negative effects on me.
Results: Does Detox Tea Help You Lose Weight
7 Days in
From the first day, I felt a natural burst of energy after drinking the morning tea. I felt more alert and less groggy than I normally do, but what was interesting is that I didn’t get the jitters, at all. After the first week, I felt less bloated. I had a big night out where I completely splurged on buttery mashed potatoes and breaded eggplant parm AND had a dessert.
I normally regret this, but to my surprise, I woke up the next day feeling like my tummy was flatter. It was almost like the tea burned up all the extra calories while I was sleeping. I got on the scale after the first week and lost 1.6 lbs. Hmm!
14 Days in
I was riding high on the natural energy from the daytime blend, and haven’t experienced a single crash. I normally have a hard time getting to sleep at night, but the evening tea was really starting to chill me out and getting to sleep was a breeze.
My diet was pretty balanced, except I should add that I’m a big fan of everything that’s terrible for you and jekyl-and-hyde between enlightened health goddess to textbook emotional eater. My biggest vice? Pasta and chocolate. It’s safe to say I had a few pasta dishes and treated myself to chocolate here and there, but didn’t get my normal day-after bloat. Week two of getting on the scale, I felt good but was nervous…but I lost another 2 lbs!
21 Days in
This week happened to fall on that ill-fated time of the month, which I tend to use as an excuse to overeat. But here’s the thing: I didn’t have any of my normal cravings for junk food. I noticed that after the third week, I snacked much less, especially before bed, and was really feeling the difference.
I didn’t wake up groggy and I felt more focused at work. And, I noticed something interesting about my skin. It was softer, clear and looked more even, not my normal blotchiness that I get from this time of the month. I even got a couple compliments that I looked well-rested, so I know it wasn’t all in my head. The scale didn’t lie, either: 2.3 lbs!
28 Days in
To say this tea did its job is an understatement. I felt good about drinking it, confident in the steady weight loss and my skin looked like I just spent a week at the spa. I was still working out and doing yoga about 3 times a week, and since I wasn’t craving as much, I ate better, too. My clothes definitely felt looser and after I got on the scale for the final time, I was blown away. Another 2.5 lbs down!
Total weight lost: About 8 and a half pounds!
What Does Detox Tea Do for You
You could get each of these ingredients individually and create your own tea… but let’s be serious here, who has the time for that, PLUS you’d end up spending way more money getting all these ingredients together. I like my tea, but I’m no tea connoisseur. And by the way, these ingredients weren’t thrown together by accident.
Each is packed with vitamins and antioxidants to create this powerful elixir that is VIDA detox tea. If you’re curious, here’s a breakdown of all the benefits for each ingredient in the 28 day detox tea, for both the day and nighttime blends answering the question of what does detox tea do for the body.
Vida Tea Daytime Blend Benefits
- Organic puerh leaf: anti-inflammatory, aids digestion, lowers cholesterol, fights aging free radicals
- Organic yerba mate: increases energy, increases mental clarity, loaded with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and a whopping 15 amino acids, boosts immune system
- Organic oolong: boosts metabolism, fights free radicals, reduces stress, supports healthy skin
- Organic cinnamon: anti-inflammatory, boosts metabolism, increases circulation, promotes good heart health, supports healthy brain function
- Organic lemongrass: flushes toxins, boosts immunity, increases metabolism, promotes cellular health, has cancer-fighting properties, reduces fatigue
- Organic spearmint: balances hormones, promotes good heart health, fights stress, improves memory
- Organic orange flavor: anti-inflammatory, anti-stress
- Organic senna leaf: anti-inflammatory, cleanses colon, removes toxins
Vida Tea Nighttime Blend
- Organic chamomile flower: treats stomach cramps, anti-stress, promotes healthy skin
- Organic lemon myrtle: boosts immune system, anti-bacterial, potent cancer-fighting antioxidant
- Organic senna leaf: anti-inflammatory, cleanses colon, removes toxins
- Organic goji berries: boosts immunity, promotes healthy skin, promotes good eye health, removes toxins
- Organic ginger root: fights indigestion and nausea, activates digestion, anti-inflammatory
- Organic marshmallow root: repairs gut lining, aids digestion, prevents leaky gut
- Organic cinnamon chips: anti-inflammatory, boosts metabolism, increases circulation, promotes good heart health, supports healthy brain function
- Organic vanilla: powerful antioxidant, anti-inflammatory
- Organic licorice root: boosts metabolism, relieves heartburn, boosts immunity
- Organic strawberry leaf: Improves digestion, supports bone health
Would I Recommend this Healthy Detox Tea to others and Would I Drink Again?
Most definitely. I ordered the day and night blends my third week in, and I’m going to do another 28 days. Needless to say, I was impressed! This tea is great for anyone who’s looking to lose a few inches off their waist, get natural energy, and just support your weight loss goals.
I’d recommend eating a regular diet (I try to eat 75% clean, with 25% not-so-clean) and having a light-to-moderate workout regimen. Now, where to buy? You can get it online (I found the cheapest on Amazon) and get it delivered straight to your door. Try VIDA Tea for yourself today