Wondering how to declutter your life, from the physical junk laying around to the mess of thoughts swirling in your head?
Spring is here, and what better time to do a full mind/body/spirit/home “spring cleaning”?
For millennia, the spring equinox has been regarded as a time to “re-birth” in many religions and cultures. The arc of the sun across the sky each day is shifting toward the north and birds and butterflies are migrating back northward too.
So how does that relate to our modern lives?
The word balance is so important in our lives and so highlighted by our yoga practice. If you do warrior one on one side, it must be done on the other. Not only do we see balance in physical asanas to keep the body strong and steady, but we seek balance on all areas of life.
Funny enough, Earth needs this as well.
All living organisms go through periods of change to attain equanimity. These phases are seen in seasons and in life aspects like birth, growth, development and death. Seasons in particular are very important because they allow for life to stay in balance. Can you relate to periods of your life where you are in full growth? It could be personal or even career growth then you get to a plateau to then start another cycle.
But how do we start the process?
During the spring, or vernal, equinox we have a great opportunity to focus on how we are going to be reborn and even transformed. Just as I mentioned above we must go through natural cycles to let go (death) to arise (birth) to then maintain and grow. The term spring cleaning is a perfect way to attain a transformation by doing some simple things to not only de-clutter your home closet but your mind and your body too. Here are some essential steps you can take that will help you revitalize your home, mind, body and spirit from the inside out.
- Focus on one part of the house where clutter lives. It can be a closet, a storage or even a garage. Somewhere where the light doesn’t shine and there’s probably a ton of things you can get rid of.
- Go through things with a couple of rules. 1) Have I used it in the last 1-2 years? 2) Can someone else get more benefit from it? If you answered no and yes , then get rid of it. Donate to Goodwill, get cash for your items at a Plato’s Closet, or even do it online with Tradesy.
- Adding the perspective of giving back by donating will help you detach from that sweater that collects dust in the back of your closet.
- Spring is a great time to detox from the winter’s eating habits. Start with getting tons of leafy greens and herbs. They detoxify your blood and bring life and energy back into you.
- Detox teas are great to bring healthy glow back to your whole entire body and aid to release toxins from the liver. Many brands carry detox teas with these ingredients.
- Sweating once a day is very very important to bring life and energy back from the winter’s stagnant energy. Start a cardio routine along with your yoga practice.
- Start a pranayama practice such as nadi shodhana, alternate nostril breathing, to bring balance into your energetic body.
Your Mind & Sprit
- Just like our closets and attics hold dust and cobwebs, so does the mind.
- Start a daily affirmation journal to help move your mind into gratitude and appreciation.
- Release negative thoughts that flood the mind and heart by moving your attention into opportunity and gratitude based practices.
- Get rid of the relationships that don’t serve you – toxic ones – which bring you down… and these could be with yourself, other people or even your work place. People who are anchors and don’t allow you to move higher into your greatness are sometimes the hardest to let go.
- Watch your language if it lives in places of lack and move into abundance. When we have abundant thoughts we are full of life vs being void of it.
With these few tips you will be well on your way to have a clean welcome to the spring equinox! Remember your home, your body and your mind are all intertwined so don’t focus on just a closet or two, dig deeper and welcome spring fresh and new!