The average person spends about $700 a year on coffee alone. Yikes! Ever wondered if alternatives to coffee exist?
It seems like wherever we turn there is a coffee location or it is accessible in the store.
But what about the jitters that come along with a traditonal brew? Or, what if you’ve decided to give up coffee, maybe for health-related reasons (like an ayurvedic lifestyle!), but miss the energy boost from caffeine?
Luckily, there’s good news. There are plenty of other options that will deliver a healthy dose of energy AND make at home to help you save money.
Here are six alternatives to coffee that you can make yourself in minutes!
1. Matcha Green Tea
Match is an antioxidant, detox, and energy booster.
- 2 tsp of Matcha Green Tea Powder
- 3-4 tbsp hot water
- 2 tbsp of Raw Honey or Organic Agave
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup Almond Milk
- Mix together and enjoy!
2. Hot Maca
Maca gives a natural energy boost but without the jittery effect that coffee gives you
- 1-2 Tablespoons of Maca
- 1 Cup of Warm Almond Milk
- 1 Teaspoon of Raw Honey and Ground Cinnamon
- Mix in together and enjoy
3. Organic Roasted Chicory Root
Organic Chicory promotes healthy flora in the intestines to aid in digestion.
- 1 tbsp of Organic Roasted Chicory Root
- Place 1 tbsp of organic roasted chicory root in Boiling Water for 10 Minutes
- Strain and Place in Mug
- Sweeten With Raw Honey
4. Yerba Mate Latte
Yerba Mate has antioxidant properties and anti-inflammatory ingredients.
- 1 tbsp loose-leaf Yerba Mate
- ¾ cup Water
- 1/4 cup milk of choice (almond, cashew, coconut)
- 1 tbsp Raw Honey
- Brew 1 tbsp of lose – leaf Yerba Mate in ¾ cup of water
- Add ¼ of Warm Milk of Choice and add 1 tbsp of Raw Honey
5. Dandelion Root Coffee
Dandelion Herbal Coffee Blend is the most similar taste to coffee flavor. High in probiotics to boost immune system.
- 1 Cup Water
- 1 tablespoons Ground Roasted Dandelion Root
- 2 tablespoon Ground Roasted Chicory Root
- 1 Cinnamon Stick
- Place water dandelion root, chicory root, and cinnamon stick in pot
- Bring to a simmer for 5 minutes
- Pour coffee into cups through mesh strainer
- Add Milk of Choice and Serve
6. Kombucha Tea
Kombucha Teaa is a probiotic to help the digestive regulate ph levels, digest, and break down food nutrients loaded in vitamin B and C and antioxidants.
- 1 Kombucha Scoby
- 16 cups filtered water
- 8-10 Green Tea Bags
- 1 Cup White Sugar
- Heat eight cups of water in a large pot over heat. Add tea bags and let them steep for about a half hour
- Once steeped, stir in sugar till dissolved and mix in water that remains.
- As soon as the sweetened tea reaches a simmer pour into a glass jar with scoby.
- Place thin like cloth over jar opening and secure with rubber band and store in dark area and let it ferment for 7 days. After that period check by taste if not to liking let it fermented for a few more days.
- Once done, pour into mason jars to store in refrigerator and place scoby in jar sealed for new batch.